Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Autistic People Are: This is also why.


Trigger Warning: The google search autocompletes.

On Autistic People Should, I talked about why we're doing this, some. Here's some reasons for this one.
Googling Autistic People:

(2)
Apparently, people search that we are annoying, smart, and denied organ transplants.
Checking Facebook for the same. I didn't even finish typing, but Facebook already says we're dangerous and hard workers. They also say we hate Autism Speaks, which tends to be true, and with good reason. Their brand of awareness is responsible for a lot of problems. They could change these perceptions, but they reinforce them instead. 

Judy googled "autistic people are" and got autocomplete suggestions saying that we are:
  • annoying
  • smart
  • evil
  • r*****ed
(2)
It looks like we're also dangerous and rude.


(2)
And calling us people with autism? We're still apparently dangerous, smart, annoying, and stupid.
I think you can see the problem. Remember this, tomorrow, and blog.



Screenshot sources:
(1): ME!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, the Google.co.uk autocomplete results are so much worse than these, all four are negative and couldn't even be interpreted as campaigning on behalf of autistic people (TW: one is 'evil', one is r-----ed) https://twitter.com/quarridors/status/307444633653358592/photo/1

    I saw people speculating that the 'should' results were particularly bad because of Autism Speaks in the US and attitudes would be better in the UK, this seems to show that they're worse.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.